Thursday, April 23, 2009

KATHY MATTEA DIGS DEEP FOR 'COAL'

In a telephone interview a few years ago, country-folk singer Kathy Mattea explained a difficult decision she had made.

"I began to realize that if I stayed, we would just be at war with each other," she said. "Life is too short to live that way - to stay because you're afraid of the unknown. I'd rather be free to go out there and see what else I can do. It was a very amicable parting."

No, Mattea was not relating the details of a marital break-up. She remains happily married to songwriter Jon Vezner, her husband of 21 years. She was speaking about a divorce of sorts, however – her decision to leave Mercury Records after 17 years as a recording artist with the label.

"When I recorded my last album [2000's The Innocent Years], I was trying to bring my own personal experience to my work on a new level," she says. "I felt really good about it and Mercury was thrilled when I turned it in."

Where Mattea’s and Mercury's views differed, however, was in how the album would be promoted and marketed. Despite receiving numerous critical accolades, the album fell short of reaching the audience and attaining the commercial success for which Mattea had hoped . She left Mercury without any future plans in mind.

"I was just willing to do the next right thing," she says. "If it was making records and selling them on the Internet, fine. If it was going to a smaller label, that would be fine too."Mattea signed with Narada Records for three albums – Roses (2002). Joy for Christmas Day (2003), and Right Out of Nowhere (2007). She took the independent route for her latest album, the Grammy nominated Coal, which was released last year on her own Captain Potato label.

Produced by Marty Stuart, Coal is a collection of classic mining and mountain songs in which Mattea pays tribute to the West Virginia coal-mining region where she was born. Notable guests on the album include Stewart, Patty Loveless, Fred Newell, and Tim and Mollie O'Brien. In a press release, Mattea says that she had first considered recording an album like Coal when she was 19 and heard the song “Dark as a Dungeon” for the first time.

Here's a video of Mattea performing a live version of "Coal Tattoo" from Coal:






The album remained an idea on the singer’s back-burner until the tragic Sago Mine Disaster, which killed twelve West Virginia miners in 2006, rekindled Mattea’s emotional and creative need to address the situation.

“Sago was the thing that brought it all back to the surface,” Mattea says. “When I was about nine, 78 miners were killed in the Farmington Disaster, near Fairmont in 1968. When Sago happened, I got catapulted back to that moment in my life and I thought, ‘I need to do something with this emotion, and maybe this album is the place to channel it’. And so I knew the time was right.”

Over the course of a career that began in 1984 with the release of her self-titled debut album, Mattea has enjoyed a fair share of commercial success. Of her 17 albums, six – including 1987's Untasted Honey, and 1993's Walking Away A Winner – have gone gold or platinum. Her number-one hits include "Goin' Gone," "Eighteen Wheels and a Dozen Roses," and "Burnin' Old Memories."

Despite her track record, the 49-year-old singer-songwriter says that her ultimate measure of success has little to do with the commercial aspects of the business.

"I made a conscious choice at a certain point in my career that instead of pursuing a career that had to do with feeding the machine of stardom, I really wanted to pursue a career that was centered more around the music," she says."I know that I'm not going to keep doing this forever. I really want to enjoy the time I choose to continue performing. Mostly, I just want to walk away with my heart full. That's how I can be on the road for over 25 years and still enjoy it. As long as I keep that as my criteria and my benchmark, the rest of it will fall into place."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kathy Mattea Tour Dates:

April
23 - College Park, MD - Clarice Smith PAC
24 - Princeton, WV - Chuck Mathena Center
25 - Clayton, NC - Clayton Center
27 - Madisonville, TN - Hiwassee College- Butcher Aud.

May
07 - Greenville, SC - The Handlebar
08 - Morganton, NC - Municipal Auditorium
09 - Frederick, MD - Weinberg Center
13 - Nashville, TN - Station Inn *Second Show Added!*
14 - Bowdon, GA - Copeland Hall
15 - Nashville, TN - Station Inn
*Private Show: Limited General Seating still available*
16 - Brookfield, WI - Wilson Center for the Arts
28 - (solo) Pittsburgh, PA- PA Presenters Conference- Keynote Speech

June
06 - Hammond, LA - Columbia Theater w/Marty Stuart
13 - (solo) Klamath Falls, OR - Oregon Institute of Technology
Commencement Speech
20 - Shakori Hills, NC- MountainAid Benefit Concert- Festival Grounds
25 - Arvada, CO - Arvada Center Amphitheater

July
04 - Ripley, WV 4th of July Celebration - Court House Square
11 - Harbor Springs, MI - Blissfest
18 - Ridgefield, CT - Ridgefield Playhouse
23 - Hillsdale, NY - Falcon Ridge Festival
26-31 - (solo) Swannanoa, NC - Warren Wilson College

Read my latest posts!


Visit my Music Examiner page at Examiner.com!

No comments: