Tuesday, February 10, 2009

REVEREND LOVE





Al Green was born to preach. Even before he became an ordained Baptist minister, Green was spreading his gospel of love to music fans around the world with signature hits like “I’m Still In Love With You,” “Let’s Stay Together,” and “Sha-La-La (Make Me Happy).” His recent critically acclaimed Top-10 album, Lay It Down, introduced the soul legend to a new generation of fans.

Proving he can still hang with anyone, Green was a last minute replacement for Chris Brown at the 2009 Grammy Awards telecast, and wowed the crowd performing a duet version of his signature hit “Let’s Stay Together” with Justin Timberlake.

In a telephone interview earlier this year, it quickly became clear that you can take Al Green out of the church, but you can’t take the church out of Al Green. Like a preacher swept up in the middle of a fiery sermon, Green has a tendency to break into song in the middle of an answer, and often refers to himself in the third person. It made for an unusual, but entertaining interview.

Green also has a playful sense of humor. When asked if he follows any special regiment to keep his voice in such good shape, he answers, “Yeah I drink a whole bottle of lemonade!”

Green should be in a jovial mood these days. The 62-year-old soul legend is riding a wave of positive publicity in the wake of the May 2008 release of Lay It Down, which incredibly became the first album by the nine-time Grammy winner to debut in the Top-10 of Billboard’s Album Chart.

“I had never had that happen,” Green said. “I really was shocked, and everybody in the band was shocked. Even the album I’m Still in Love With You didn’t debut in the Top-10, and it sold a lot of records.”

From 1971 to 1976, Green did indeed sell a lot of records. He had 13 Top-40 hits, including “Here I Am (Come and Take Me),” “Call Me (Come Back Home),” and “You Ought to Be With Me,” as well as eight albums that reached the Top-30 on the charts.

Green abandoned secular music in the late-’70s, became an ordained minister, and took up residence at the Full Gospel Tabernacle Church, just outside Memphis, Tennessee. For nearly 25 years, Green recorded only gospel and Christmas music.

In 2003, Green signed with Blue Note Records and agreed to record secular music again. Lay It Down is Green’s third album in the past six years. On the previous two, I Can’t Stop (2003) and Everything’s OK (2005), Green reunited with Willie Mitchell, the producer behind Green’s hit albums. In an attempt to recapture, as well as update Green’s classic sound, the albums were recorded in the same studio used in the ‘70s, employing many of the same musicians from 30 years ago.

While both albums were well received critically, I Can’t Stop sold less than 300,000 copies, and Everything’s OK sold under 125,000. Hoping to generate more commercial appeal, Blue Note Records asked Ahmir “?uestlove” Thompson of the Philadelphia-based hip-hop group the Roots, and his associate James Poyser, to produce what would become Lay It Down.

Once Green agreed to the proposal, Thompson and Poyser began an intensive study of Green’s recordings. Thompson says his goal was to make the unofficial follow-up to The Belle Album, Green's last major critical success from the ’70s.

"Thing is, you really have to do your homework. I studied all of Al's music," Thompson told the Philadelphia Daily News. "I studied the engineering of every album. That's basically what we were trying to approximate and also get a mark of our own."

Contemporary artists Anthony Hamilton, Corinne Bailey Rae, and John Legend were brought in for guest appearances.

In the end, Lay It Down manages to sound like classic Al Green without sounding like it’s trying to recreate the past. But while Thompson says that was always the intention, Green maintains that initially the team envisioned a more modern sound.

“They wanted to play the music as hip-hop as they could,” Green says. “I told them to go right ahead, because I knew they wasn’t going to be able to do it. Because once you start wrapping the music around Al…. You gonna try to play it a different way, but when you get done with it, it’s gonna come out [sounding] like 1973, ’74, ’75, ’76, ’77….

“Eventually they just started playing it like we were singing it,” Green added. “That’s all you can do, really. With a song like ‘Take Your Time,’ or ‘Stay With Me (By The Sea),’ ain’t no sense in playing no Jimi Hendrix on it, or Miles Davis on it. You’ve got to play (singing) ‘Stay with me by the sea’ the way it goes, you know?

Green is in full preacher mode now.

“My name is Otis Redding,” he says, to illustrate the other cloth from which he’s cut. “And my name is David Ruffin… and Sam Cooke… and Jackie Wilson… and Wilson Pickett.”

Lay It Down was in production for over two years, but most of that time was spent working out the logistics of the participants. Green says the songs were written quickly, soon after entering the studio.

“What you’re getting is the cream, baby,” he says. “This is not something we had in a box for 4,000 years, this is something we just wrote this past February. Yeah, ‘Lay It Down’ I just laid it down.”

Green has been inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, the Songwriters Hall of Fame, the Gospel Music Hall of Fame, and is the recipient of the Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award. On June 24, Green added to his long list of achievements when he was honored with a Lifetime Achievement Award at the BET Awards in Los Angeles. Three days later, he fulfilled a lifelong dream when he headlined Carnegie Hall for the first time.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From The Pulpit:

Rev. Al Green is not shy about speaking his mind. Here’s a little fire and brimstone on a variety of topics.

Were you familiar with the Roots, Anthony Hamilton, Corinne Bailey Rae, or John Legend before working with them on "Lay It Down"?

“No, no, no, I was not. I saw the Roots on TV once in Trinidad. That was the only time I’d ever seen the Roots. I’d only heard the song that Corinne sang on the Oprah Winfrey Show. Something about ‘put your records on.’ I heard one song by John legend, but I can’t really think of what it was. I had heard a song by Anthony Hamilton, because I have two of his CDs, but I have never played one yet.

“I’m kind of reeling, man. I get a lot of music. I mean, record companies send me boxes of music, and I can’t play everything and stay sane at the same time. It’s just a lot of stuff.”

Do most visitors come to the Full Gospel Tabernacle Church to worship, or to see Al Green?

“I know people come for a thousand reasons to church. They mostly come to hear me sing ‘For The Good Times.’ I know that. I don’t care what reason they came for. Our thing is while they are there we get to tell them about the Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, and do a little bit of ‘Amazing Grace’ and let them know that that grace is for them.

“So I don’t care what reason you came. And then after that I send him back to Elvis’s place.”


On touring and performing at various House of Blues venues:

“The House of Blues is one of my favorite places to play, because we can get down in the House of Blues. There’s like 14 or 15 of us up there [on stage]. We’ve been together like six or seven years. So we know each other. Every time I twitch my foot they know what I’m doing.

“We can really have a good time. And when you come upon our hotel floor, you don’t hear no noise, no parties, no women, no hollering and tearing up the room and trashing the hotel…. We don’t have that kind of junk. You get a $5,000 fine if you do that junk in my band. I’ll fine your ass.”

On rap music:

"All our songs are about love – not machine guns, killing, war, drugs, gangs and sex. You gotta be able to invest 12 years in prison to be a rapper, or at least you been shot five or six times or committed some crime to be a rapper. ‘I was shot nine times right in the toe – now I can rap because I know what I’m talking about. I’ve been behind bars…’

“I just think that’s a poor illustration for our young children, 11, 12, and 13 years old. I mean, if you listen to that, or look at that stuff long enough in the videos with them big dog chains around their necks, and all them diamonds shining out of their mouth – you would think that’s how real life is.

“And I have to tell those children that that ain’t the way life is, baby. You ain’t going to be surrounded by a bunch of girls in two-piece bikinis dancin’ and wigglin’ all the time. You have to get up off your ass and go to work. Make sure you put that in your article. That’s coming from the Reverend.”


No comments: