Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Tom Jones Sheds His Lounge Singer Image


Tom Jones has always had an image problem. Even as far back as the late ’60s, when early hits like "It’s Not Unusual," "Delilah," "Help Yourself," and "What’s New Pussycat" sold millions of records, younger fans who knew Jones mainly from his ABC television variety show saw him as a throwback to the Dean Martin/Frank Sinatra-style singers their parents liked.

The hits kept coming in the ’70s, but the singer, whose on-stage gyrations would elicit screams (and sometimes undergarments) from the females in his audience, couldn’t shake the Las Vegas lounge singer label. Then, sometime in the ’80s, a funny thing happened — Tom Jones became cool.


Perhaps it was because Jones, born Thomas John Woodward in Pontypridd, South Wales, never took himself or his overwrought persona too seriously. Or maybe it had more to do with his undeniably powerful voice and a musical repertoire that included pop, rock, soul, R&B and country. In Britain, contemporary artists had started acknowledging Jones as an influence. "It’s Not Unusual" was re-released and became a hit again. In 1988, he collaborated with British techno-pop group The Art of Noise on a cover of Prince’s "Kiss." The song became Jones’s first worldwide Top 40 hit in more than 10 years, and the accompanying video won the “Breakthrough Video” MTV Award.

At age 66, Jones is still dealing with image problems. He may be older, but he’s far from an oldies act. These days, he has a harder time convincing American record companies than fans of that fact.

“With me and other entertainers of my age, unless you’ve been selling records continuously, record companies in this country are frightened to take a chance with you,” Jones says.

As an example, he points to his 1999 British release, Reload, a collection of collaborations with artists like Robbie Williams, the Pretenders, Barenaked Ladies, Van Morrison, and Simply Red covering songs like "Burning Down the House," "Lust for Life," and "Never Tear Us Apart." The Reload album sold more than 5 million copies worldwide, but was never released in the United States.

“I thought we were bound to do a deal with an American company, because it had been successful everywhere else,” Jones says. But still they came up with excuses. I was told that there were too many European artists who were not known in the States on the album. We did have offers, but they weren’t good enough. We didn’t feel that they were going to put enough effort behind the CD, and we just didn’t want to put it out for the sake of putting it out.”

As a compromise, Universal Records released Reloaded: Greatest Hits in 2003, a 19-song retrospective that included six tracks from Reload, and a mix of old and newer hits.

“Universal got behind it because of the classic hits that are on there, so I think it was a good way to introduce some of the newer things that I’d recorded that a lot of the American listeners hadn’t heard,” Jones says.

Jones continues to record albums that American fans have to buy as imports. His most recent are 2002’s Mr. Jones, which was produced by the Fugees’ Wyclef Jean, and 2004's Tom Jones and Jools Holland, a blues collection featuring the ex-Squeeze keyboard player. Recent releases by Paul Anka and Neil Diamond aside, among his contemporaries Jones’ continued productivity is a rarity.


He’s also forward-thinking when it comes to performing. He still sings his most popular older hits, but rather than live comfortably in the past, Jones usually showcases more recent material in his shows. He’s also not afraid to take risks. Name another 66-year-old performer with the gumption to open a show rapping to a bona fide hip-hop track (“Tom Jones International”) and look comfortable and sound good doing it.


“I like a lot of modern music,” he says. “I like a lot of new producers. So it’s something that I listen to. When I hear a great-sounding record, I want to know who produced it. That’s why I want to work with modern producers. That’s why I did a CD with Wyclef Jean.”

The Mr. Jones sessions also marked the first time in his 40-year career that Jones co-wrote some of his material.


“I need suggestions,” he admits. With Wyclef, he would suggest something, and then bring it out of me. He would say, ‘I’ve got an idea for a groove, an idea for a song.’ Then he would explain the concept to me and ask me to put it into words.”

Jones believes the key to his success is that he has never tried to emulate another singer, no matter what style of music he sings.

“I’ve been influenced by a lot of singers, but I’ve never tried to copy anybody,” he says. “When "It’s Not Unusual" first came out, it was being played in this country on black radio stations, because they thought I was black. I wasn’t trying to sound like any of the great blues or soul singers. I was doing it in my own way.” Because of his eclectic taste in music, Jones has always enjoyed working with other artists.

“When I had my TV show on ABC in the late ’60s, early ’70s, ABC realized that I could do all kinds of music, and I could do duets with all styles of music artists,” he says. “ABC was pushing for more middle-of-the-road people, and I was always pushing for rock singers. I got my way, because the TV show was successful. So the idea of doing collaborations with different artists started then.”

Jones says that R&B singer Usher and rap star Nelly have expressed an interest in working with him. “It could happen,” he says. “I could do a CD like Reload with American artists. Who knows, it might even get a record company interested.”

No comments: